Re: Bug in pg_describe_object, patch v2 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Bug in pg_describe_object, patch v2
Date
List pgsql-hackers
I wrote:
>> We're trying to represent the pg_amproc entry here, and including a
>> bunch of details of the pg_proc entry to which it happens to point
>> seems almost better to be confusing the issue.

> Yeah, that occurred to me too.  However, the CREATE OPERATOR CLASS
> syntax doesn't really draw a distinction between the referenced
> function/operator and its reference in the opclass, and I'm not sure
> users do either.  So I don't want to give up the details of the function
> or operator.  But sticking them at the end after a colon might make it
> clearer that the func/operator is referenced by the amproc or amop
> entry, but is not the same thing.

And yet ... and yet ... if you adopt the position that what we're going
to print is "amproc item: referenced procedure", then it's not entirely
clear why the amproc item description shouldn't be complete.  The
argument that it's redundant with the procedure description gets a lot
weaker as soon as you look at them as two separate items.  Ditto amop.
And having to add a lot of otherwise-useless code to suppress the
redundancy surely isn't very attractive.

So I guess I'm coming around to the idea that we want something not too
much bigger than Andreas' original patch, but applying to both amop and
amproc, and putting the operator/function description at the end.

Comments?