Re: persistent vs. non-persistent - Mailing list pgsql-php

From Andrew McMillan
Subject Re: persistent vs. non-persistent
Date
List pgsql-php
On Wed, 2001-10-03 at 02:28, Brent R. Matzelle wrote:
> --- Andrew McMillan <andrew @ catalyst.net.nz> wrote:
> > Yes, I believe that is how it works.  For a more reasonable
> > approach to
> > this problem you should look into (something like) DBBalancer
> > (see
> > SourceForge for more info).
>
> This DBBalancer is very impressive.  What type of performance
> gains have you gotten by using it?

Performance improvement very much depends on the sorts of queries you
do.  Gains are particularly evident for complex queries which return
only a few records, since query plans and data all end up being cached
in the client session.

DBBalancer seems to give about the same level of performance improvement
as persistent connections do, but without needing one PostgreSQL client
/ database / apache session.

Cheers,
                    Andrew.
Andrew @ Catalyst .Net.NZ Ltd, PO Box 11-053, Manners St, Wellington
WEB: http://catalyst.net.nz/        PHYS: Level 2, 150-154 Willis St
DDI: +64(4)916-7201    MOB: +64(21)635-694    OFFICE: +64(4)499-2267