Re: Bad perfomance of pl/pgsql-function on new server - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Bad perfomance of pl/pgsql-function on new server
Date
List pgsql-performance
Wil Peters <info@itaudit.demon.nl> writes:
> On the new server - although this server has far better specs! - the
> function does NOT perfom as well as on the old server. Searches take
> several minutes, where on the old server a few SECONDS where needed.

Is the new installation really equivalent to the old?  I'd wonder about
differences in multibyte compilation option, database locale and
encoding, etc.  Any of these could result in a huge hit in text-pushing
performance.

Another traditional post-upgrade problem is forgetting to VACUUM
ANALYZE; but that probably shouldn't affect this function, since it's
not issuing any database queries.

(Personally I'd have written this sort of function in plperl or pltcl,
either of which are far more appropriate for text-string-mashing than
plpgsql.  But that's not really answering your question.)

            regards, tom lane