Re: Column Filtering in Logical Replication - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: Column Filtering in Logical Replication
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 3/14/22 10:53, Amit Kapila wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 14, 2022 at 2:37 AM Tomas Vondra
> <tomas.vondra@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 3/12/22 05:30, Amit Kapila wrote:
>>>
>>> Okay, please find attached. I have done basic testing of this, if we
>>> agree with this approach then this will require some more testing.
>>>

>> Thanks, the proposed changes seem like a clear improvement, so I've
>> added them, with some minor tweaks (mostly to comments).
>>

> One minor point: Did you intentionally remove
> list_free(rel_publications) before resetting the list from the second
> patch? The memory for rel_publications is allocated in
> TopTransactionContext, so a large transaction touching many relations
> will only free this at end of the transaction which may not be a big
> deal as we don't do this every time. We free this list a few lines
> down in successful case so this appears slightly odd to me but I am
> fine if you think it doesn't matter.

The removal was not intentional, but I don't think it's an issue exactly
because it's a tiny mount of memory and we'll release it at the end of
the transaction. Which should not take long.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company