Re: very long record lines in expanded psql output - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Platon Pronko
Subject Re: very long record lines in expanded psql output
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi!

>>> Yes, but it changes the data line output. Ideally, you should be able
>>> to  modify these independently.
>>
>> I agree, and I think this can be implemented, but I'm a bit afraid of
>> introducing an additional psql option (there's already quite a lot of
>> them).
>> I suspect primary PostgreSQL maintainers won't be happy with such an
>> approach.
>>

> I think I qualify as one of those ... :-)

Sorry, I'm new here, don't know who's who :)

I'll start working on a new patch then. A couple questions about specifics:

1. Can we add "expanded" in the option name, like "xheader_expanded_width"?
I think adjusting the header row width doesn't make sense on any other modes,
and placing that in the option name makes intent a bit clearer.

2. What was "column" option in your original suggestion supposed to do?
("\pset xheader_width column|page|nnn")

3. Should we bother with using this option when in "\pset border 2" mode?
I can do it for consistency, but it will still look bad.

Best regards,
Platon Pronko