Re: BUG #1232: Singapore Timezone missing - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: BUG #1232: Singapore Timezone missing
Date
List pgsql-bugs
> The timezone designation SGT is not recognized on inserts to "timestamp
> with
> time zone" fields.

fyi, I am on this list, if anyone wants to tell me I'm way off base here or
whatever :)

something tells me I'm going to hit this problem again when our app gets
deployed at our plants in thailand and china and indonesia (and, no, I don't
yet know what time zone codes they use, I'm trying to figure out how to dump
the linux timezone files)

ok, on my redhat enterprise linux server, /usr/share/zoneinfo/Asia/Bangkok
uses ICT  which is defined.

however, mainland china, ugh.

CN Asia/Shanghai   east China - Beijing, Guangdong, Shanghai, etc.
CN Asia/Harbin     Heilongjiang
CN Asia/Chongqing  central China - Gansu, Guizhou, Sichuan, Yunnan, etc.
CN Asia/Urumqi     Tibet & most of Xinjiang Uyghur
CN Asia/Kashgar    southwest Xinjiang Uyghur

Asia/Shanghai       Thu Aug 26 08:29:36 2004 CST
Asia/Harbin         Thu Aug 26 08:29:36 2004 CST
Asia/Chongqing      Thu Aug 26 08:29:36 2004 CST
Asia/Urumqi         Thu Aug 26 08:29:36 2004 CST
Asia/Kashgar        Thu Aug 26 08:29:36 2004 CST

so all of china uses CST, which is *NOT* CST as we know it here in North
America ;-/

*UGH*

(btw, thats the trimmed output of...
    $ grep ^CN /usr/share/zoneinfo/zone.tab
and
    $ cd /usr/share/zoneinfo; /usr/sbin/zdump Asia/*
)