Re: [GENERAL] Physical Database Configuration - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Christopher Kings-Lynne
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Physical Database Configuration
Date
Re: [GENERAL] Physical Database Configuration  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
> Well, correct solution is to implement tablespaces on which objects like
> databases, tables and indexes can be put.

I have started working on tablespaces (to the extent that I am capable!),
based not on the rejected patch, but on Jim's eventual syntax proposal that
was never developed.

eg.

CREATE LOCATION blah AS '/exports/indexes'

CREATE DATABASE db WITH LOCATION loc;

CREAT TABLE foo (a PRIMARY KEY LOCATION blah) LOCATION blah;

..etc...

> There was a long discussion on this and there was a tablespaces patch. It
was
> agreed that tablespace as a set of directories would be a good point to
start.

If anyone wants to help me (as I've not had time to code on it for a while
due to phpPgAdmin), then they can email
me!

I'm working from a top-down perspective - eg. adding new catalog and grammar
and support functions before mucking about with low level storage...

Chris