Re: Migrating From CentOS-6 Oracle 11g R2 To CentOS-7 PostgreSQL ?? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeremy Schneider
Subject Re: Migrating From CentOS-6 Oracle 11g R2 To CentOS-7 PostgreSQL ??
Date
List pgsql-general
On 12/5/17 12:07, Kevin Brannen wrote:
>     1. What version of PostgreSQL should I use?
>
>     The latest that works for you. Some people don’t like .0 releases
>     for various reasons and if that applies to you, then use the latest
>     of 9.6.x (9.6.5 I think); else use 10.0.

In addition, 10.1 is available as of Nov 9th

>     2. I don't want to use a RPM because I like controlling where
>     software is installed, so where can I locate the required tar ball?

I wonder if the PGDG rpms are relocatable packages? I haven't tried that
yet.

>     You can download the source and build it yourself; there’s an arg
>     for where you want to install it. The instructions are pretty easy
>     to follow if you’ve ever built anything.

Agree you can run the build script easily enough, although personally
I'd prefer a package over doing my own builds. Maybe it's not a priority
to you, but if you're building stuff yourself and you really want to do
it right then you should be tracking a lot of stuff and making sure you
are using all the right configure options and making sure you can always
perfectly reproduce builds. Probably should be creating and archiving
your own packages... but depends on your requirements.  :)

>     5. What additional information might be helpful?

Just last night we had a great talk at the Seattle PostgreSQL User Group
about moving from MSSQL to PG and many considerations apply equally. In
particular, you can find lots of code to make PostgreSQL act more like
your source DB... but you want to carefully consider whether this is the
right approach in your situation.  (There be flame-wars here.)

And speaking of PUGs, you could check for a local one of those and get
connected up to ask future questions face-to-face too.  :)

-J

--
http://about.me/jeremy_schneider