Re: Enforcing uniqueness on [real estate/postal] addresses - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Enforcing uniqueness on [real estate/postal] addresses
Date
List pgsql-general
On 5/12/20 1:55 PM, Peter Devoy wrote:
>> Is is possible to have two entries which have the same
>> address_identifier_general, street and postcode, but different
>> descriptions?
>
> Unfortunately, yes.  The data comes from gov't systems to
> regulate the development/alteration of arbitrary pieces of property and
> those pieces do not always have a postal address.  E.g. a farmer may
> one year apply to erect a wind turbine in "field north of Foo Cottage"
> and the next year apply to demolish "barnhouse west of Foo Cottage".

Having farmed myself, letting a farmer define a property is a
questionable practice:)

> Now, I know what you are thinking, there is a normalization opportunity and you
> may well be right. However, the problem does exist in some of the other fields
> too and I am already facing a fair amount of join complexity in my schema so I
> am trying to figure out my options :)
>
>> (What is an address_identifier_general, btw?)
> Address identifier composed by numbers and/or characters. I'm using the
> terminology from the EU's "INSPIRE Data Specification on Addresses" Guidelines.

Took a quick scan through above, that was mind numbing. I did see that
there are provisions for geographic reference grids. Is that an option?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com