Re: Column order in multi column primary key - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Craig Boucher
Subject Re: Column order in multi column primary key
Date
Re: Column order in multi column primary key  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general

Thanks David.  I’ve thought about the hierarchy you mentioned but the hierarchy can change and I need to capture it as it was when the data was generated.

I should have pointed out in my last response that I was wondering if the performance of the pk index on work_session would be better if my primary key was (customer_id, work_session_id) or if (work_session_id,  customer_id) will be fine.  Customer_id will be repeated quite a bit in the table but work_session_id should be unique across the whole table.

Thanks,

Craig