Re: Windows regress fails (latest HEAD) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: Windows regress fails (latest HEAD)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 11/10/20 6:16 PM, Russell Foster wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2020 at 12:03 PM Ranier Vilela <ranier.vf@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Only for registry, if anyone else is using msvc 2019.
>>> I'm using latest msvc 2019 64 bits (16.6.0)
>>> Problably this is a compiler optimization bug.
>>> vcregress check with build DEBUG, pass all 200 tests.
>>
>> With the current HEAD, the regression float8 in release mode (msvc 2019 64 bits) is gone.
>> Maybe it's this commit:
>> https://github.com/postgres/postgres/commit/0aa8f764088ea0f36620ae2955fa6c54ec736c46
>>
>> But (partition_prune) persists.
>> partition_prune              ... FAILED
>>
>> regards,
>> Ranier Vilela
>
> I am also experiencing this issue on one of my Windows machines (x64)
> using 12.4. I believe this is new, possibly since 12.2. It doesn't
> occur on another machine though, which is strange. It appears to be
> the same diff output. Is it possible that the given result is also
> valid for this test?

That's unlikely, I think. The regression tests are constructed so that
the estimates are stable. It's more likely this is some difference in
rounding behavior, for example. I wonder which msvc builds are used on
the machines that fail/pass the tests, and if the compiler flags are the
same.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra