VACUUM vs VACUUM FULL (was: SELECT * FROM huge_table LIMIT 10; Why does it take more than 10 min to complete, with cold caches) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dimitrios Apostolou
Subject VACUUM vs VACUUM FULL (was: SELECT * FROM huge_table LIMIT 10; Why does it take more than 10 min to complete, with cold caches)
Date
Responses Re: VACUUM vs VACUUM FULL (was: SELECT * FROM huge_table LIMIT 10; Why does it take more than 10 min to complete, with cold caches)  ("David G. Johnston" <david.g.johnston@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
Thanks everyone for the help.

I have now run simple VACUUM but it didn't change anything, the simple
SELECT is still slow.

My understanding by reading the docs is that it should reclaim all unused
space, just not return it to the OS. Which is fine by me. Any idea why it
failed to reclaim the space in my case?

I'm now running VACUUM FULL as everyone suggested. I just tried plain
VACUUM as I was curious if it would work and because it doesn't lock
the table with an operation that takes hours for my setup.

Thanks,
Dimitris