Re: In which session context is a trigger run? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: In which session context is a trigger run?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 12/28/18 7:56 PM, Mitar wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Fri, Dec 28, 2018 at 3:25 PM Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com> wrote:
>>> Sure, but why is a temporary function used as a temporary trigger made
>>
>> There is no such thing as a temporary trigger.
>
> A trigger defined using a temporary function gets deleted once a
> function gets deleted, which is at the end of the session. Thus, it is
> a temporary trigger. Feel free to try it. Create a function in pg_temp
> and then define a trigger, disconnect, and you will see that trigger
> is deleted as well.

That is because the function is temporary and when the session ends the
function is dropped and it cascades to the trigger. The important part
to note is pg_temp.* is an alias to whatever pg_temp_nn the temporary
objects are created in. This is why what you want to do is not working.
When you create the temporary function it is 'pinned' to a particular
session/pg_temp_nn. Running the trigger in another session 'pins' it to
that session and it is not able to see the posts_temp table in the
original session. Postgres does not have global temp tables at this
time. There have been rumblings about making that happen, but I do not
what the status of that is.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com