Re: Renaming of pg_xlog and pg_clog - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Renaming of pg_xlog and pg_clog
Date
Re: Renaming of pg_xlog and pg_clog  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 8/25/16 10:39 PM, Michael Paquier wrote:
> I am relaunching $subject as 10 development will begin soon. As far as
> I know, there is agreement that we can do something here. Among the
> different proposals I have found:
> - pg_clog renamed to pg_commit_status, pg_xact or pg_commit
> - pg_xlog renamed to pg_xjournal, pg_wal or pg_journal

If we're going to do some renaming, then I suggest we do a
mini-file-system structure under $PGDATA, like

$PGDATA/etc
$PGDATA/log
$PGDATA/run (lock files etc.)
$PGDATA/tmp
$PGDATA/var

The names of all the things under "var" could still be refined, but it's
much less likely that users will confuse data with configuration or
plain logs under that scheme.