Re: Does PostgreSQL support job? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Daniel CAUNE
Subject Re: Does PostgreSQL support job?
Date
List pgsql-sql

It's true that implementing a job management within an RDBMS is somewhat reinventing the wheel, especially on UNIX
systemswhere cron exists (even on Windows, which supports scheduled tasks).  Anyway, job support within a RDBMS sounds
morelike a facility.

"While I have built a number of large and small applications with various time-based event scheduling tables stored in
anSQL database, including things like triggers that send asynchronous notifications to daemon clients to advise them to
re-queryfor updated schedules, it never in my wildest imaginings occured to me to actually initiate execution
autonomouslyfrom the database back end."
[zblaxell, 2006-01-25, http://lwn.net/Articles/167895/]

Well, perhaps zblaxell has only worked on operational systems (OLTP), but such autonomy is sometimes useful in low-cost
businessintelligence systems (OLAP).

--
Daniel CAUNE