Problem with transaction in functions and tempory tables - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Gerardo Castillo
Subject Problem with transaction in functions and tempory tables
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hello,

I'm using PostgreSQL 7.4

I have a function wich use temporary tables. I read about temporary tables and they exists during the session.
But i have to call this function many times in the same sesion with diferents parameters and expecting different results. So, there is a problem because the temporary table already exists during the second execution of the funcition.

To avoid this, I used this sintax after de create table statement "ON COMMIT DROP" which destroy the table in the next commit.

for example, If i run this script many times in the same session there weren't problems:
begin;
create temporary table test(x  integer) ON COMMIT DROP;
INSERT INTO test values(1);
select * from test;
commit;

Then I tried to use this in function:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION "public"."f_test" () RETURNS SETOF "pg_catalog"."record" AS'
BEGIN
    CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE test( x integer ) ON COMMIT DROP;

    INSERT INTO test values (1);

    --RETORNA LOS RESULTADOS
    FOR res IN SELECT x  FROM test LOOP
        RETURN NEXT res;
    END LOOP;
    RETURN;
END;
'LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' IMMUTABLE CALLED ON NULL INPUT SECURITY DEFINER;

and then I executed the function this way:
BEGIN;
SELECT * FROM f_test() AS R(x INTEGER);
COMMIT;

but in the second execution, it falis with an error wich said that doesn't exist the relation with OID XXXX... I supose it is because the table doesn't exist because in the second execution the function couldn't create the table or it is using an old reference of the dropped table.

I think if I put the begin and the commit inside the function, it will work.

I tried this way, but it doesn't compile:
CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION "public"."f_test" () RETURNS SETOF "pg_catalog"."record" AS'
BEGIN
    BEGIN;
    CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE test( x integer ) ON COMMIT DROP;
I tried too with START, but without success.

I'd appeciate some help.

Tanks,
Gerardo.