Re: Windows Installation User account - Correct database for us - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steve Atkins
Subject Re: Windows Installation User account - Correct database for us
Date
List pgsql-general
On Jul 10, 2014, at 5:01 PM, Don Brown <DBrown@msd.net.au> wrote:

> Hello
>
> We are writing a small application and we are trying to determine if PostgreSQL is the right database for us.
>
> The application at this stage is only for a single user and commonly for persons with little computer expertise.
>
> When the database is installed a postgreSQL user account is created which in most cases will be the second user
accounton the PC.  The result of this is the user now has to select the user account when ever the computer is
restarted.

I'd be surprised if that was required behaviour, but I'm not really familiar with current PostgreSQL packaging for
Windows.

>  The programmer working on this application has suggested looking at an imbedded database, something like H2 as an
alternative.

Installation and management of PostgreSQL on Windows hits occasional minor roadbumps - not a problem for someone
deployingand using PostgreSQL, but potentially a cause of support overhead if you're "invisibly" installing the
databasealong with your app and not expecting your user to be aware of it.

If you need the power and flexibility of PostgreSQL, or want to allow your users direct database access and want to
givethem a good experience there, then the advantages probably outweigh the possible issues. If you don't need that
thenan embedded database might be a better match.

I'd look at SQLite as an embedded alternative, myself. It's a solid embedded SQL database. If you're entirely a Java
shopthen H2 might well be a good choice too.

> I was hoping the members of this group may have some comments or suggestions as to the direction we should look at.
>
> Thank you and appreciate any comments/suggestions

Cheers,
  Steve