Re: contrib/pg_freespacemap - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From decibel
Subject Re: contrib/pg_freespacemap
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Aug 8, 2009, at 2:55 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> On 8/8/09 10:50 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>> Tom Lane wrote:
>>> Is there a reason we *should* move it?  The current definition
>>> doesn't
>>> leave me feeling that it's more than a low-level hacker's tool.
>>
>> No specific reason.  I was just wondering because I saw an old
>> message
>> about it.  Maybe we just don't need it.
>
> Given that the FSM is now auto-managing, is there any reason to have
> this tool at all?
>
> Seems like it should get killed off.

I believe it's useful when dealing with very bloated relations. If
someone's looking for an itch to scratch, ways to more effectively
shrink bloated relations would be good.
--
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect  decibel@decibel.org