Re: Caching - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Lufkin, Brad
Subject Re: Caching
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
Fernando:
I get a "method not implemented error" when I use setFetchSize(); the
version of the driver I'm using is 7.3b1 jdbc3 build 104. Is there a later
production version that I should be using?
Brad

-----Original Message-----
From: Fernando Nasser [mailto:fnasser@redhat.com]
Sent: Friday, August 29, 2003 5:35 PM
To: Lufkin, Brad
Cc: 'psql'
Subject: Re: [JDBC] Caching

Yes, the current driver has setFetchSize() implemented.

Note that you must be inside a transaction as a cursor is used for
implementing
this.  Alternatively you can be using a server side prepared statement (you
don't need to be inside a transaction in that case).

If you are using an older driver, you can always declare a cursor yourself.

Regards,
Fernando

Lufkin, Brad wrote:> Whenever I execute a query and retrieve the results
with
the sequence:

>     ResultSet resultSet = statement.executeQuery("SELECT blah blah
> blah...");
>     while (resultSet.next()) {
>         //do something with the resultSet
>     }
>
> it looks like the query is completely carried out before any results are
> returned. This contrasts with the behavior of other databases (Informix
> comes to mind) where the query returns immediately and the results are
> returned as the database fetches them. Is my supposition correct, and, if
> so, is there any way to make postgres behave the same way as Informix?
> My reasons for wanting this behavior is that I'm displaying results in
real
> time to a user through a GUI and the gradual display of results is
> preferable to a long pause followed by all the results at once.

Fernando Nasser
Red Hat - Toronto                       E-Mail:  fnasser@redhat.com
2323 Yonge Street, Suite #300
Toronto, Ontario   M4P 2C9