Re: scram-sha-256 broken with FIPS and OpenSSL 1.0.2 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From John Scalia
Subject Re: scram-sha-256 broken with FIPS and OpenSSL 1.0.2
Date
List pgsql-hackers
FIPS only specifies which algorithms are approved for use on it. For instance, MD-5 is NOT approved at all under FIPS.
Iwould say any algorithm should produce the same result regardless of where it is run. BTW, on Redhat servers, the
firstalgorithm listed for use with SSH is MD-5. This causes the sshd daemon to abort when FIPS is enabled and that
configfile has not been edited. So, you can no longer connect with an SSH client as the daemon isn’t running. Ask me
howI know this.

Sent from my iPad

> On Sep 25, 2020, at 3:39 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Sep 25, 2020 at 03:38:22PM -0400, John Scalia wrote:
>> Bruce,
>>
>> In my experience, any client is permitted to connect to FIPS140-2 compliant server. I set this up when I worked at
SSA,at management’s request.