Building debug version with MSVC 2013 for 64bit: No _d postfix on dll and lib files... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Zuiderhoek, Jeroen
Subject Building debug version with MSVC 2013 for 64bit: No _d postfix on dll and lib files...
Date
List pgsql-general

Hello,

I am trying to build postgresql (and to be more specific, the libraries libpq, libpgtypes and libecpg) with MSVC 2013 for using them in a 64bit application. I downloaded the source code (v9.3.5), unzipped the file and run ‘build DEBUG libpq’, as nicely described here: http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/install-windows-full.html

All works well, and the build results (including dll and lib files) end up in Debug\libpq.

The problem is that these files don’t get the _d postfix. This means that the release and debug lib/dll files have the same name.

The application that uses these libraries shall be built for debug and release. For all other libs, we have *.lib/*.dll and *_d.lib/*_d.dll to differentiate between the debug and release version of the libs. This is all automatically handled by the build tooling we use. This now clashes with the postgresql libraries where the name is the same for debug/release.

Do you have any suggestion what I should do to get the _d postfix on the debug build version?

Note that building all our 3rd party libraries is handled by an automated process, so preferably, the solution should not involve manual editing etc.. I could add-in some automatic search/replace-like stuff to patch some files, if necessary.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Jeroen