Re: A situation with one parent table and 3 child tables - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Gareth Evans
Subject Re: A situation with one parent table and 3 child tables
Date
List pgsql-sql
Hi Jorge,

Several 1:m relationships may be appropriate where the number of corresponding records on the m side can be 0, 1 or more.

If the child entities vary little or not at all in structure, but represent different “types”, a single 1:m might suffice with “type” as an attribute at the many end, and suitable indexes, and filtering at the application level.

It's difficult to generalise.  If you can give more information on the scenario, better advice may be forthcoming.

Kind regards,
Gareth