Re: Need help to decide Mysql vs Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Amit V Shah
Subject Re: Need help to decide Mysql vs Postgres
Date
Re: Need help to decide Mysql vs Postgres
List pgsql-performance
Hi Josh,

Thanks for the prompt reply !! Actually migration is inevitable. We have a
totally messed up schema, not normalized and stuff like that. So the goal of
the migration is to get a new and better normalized schema. That part is
done already. Now the decision point is, should we go with postgres or
mysql.

Thanks,
Amit

-----Original Message-----
From: Joshua D. Drake [mailto:jd@commandprompt.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 24, 2005 1:15 PM
To: Amit V Shah
Cc: 'pgsql-performance@postgresql.org'
Subject: Re: [PERFORM] Need help to decide Mysql vs Postgres

> I am not trying to start a mysql vs postgres war so please dont
> misunderstand me .... I tried to look around for mysql vs postgres
articles,
> but most of them said mysql is better in speed. However those articles
were
> very old so I dont know about recent stage. Please comment !!!

It is my experience that MySQL is faster under smaller load scenarios.
Say 5 - 10 connections only doing simple SELECTS. E.g; a dymanic website.

It is also my experience that PostgreSQL is faster and more stable under
consistent and heavy load. I have customers you regularly are using up
to 500 connections.

Note that alot of this depends on how your database is designed. Foreign
keys slow things down.

I think it would be important for you to look at your overall goal of
migration. MySQL is really not a bad product "IF" you are willing to
work within its limitations.

PostgreSQL is a real RDMS, it is like Oracle or DB2 and comes with a
comparable feature set. Only you can decide if that is what you need.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake
Command Prompt, Inc.