Cannot create UTF-8 database - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Carlson, Jacob
Subject Cannot create UTF-8 database
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Hello,

I am trying to create a UNICODE schema and am getting an error.  Is there a=
 configuration file I need to update to except Unicode schemas?  I am using=
 this version of software - postgresql-8.3.8-S10.i386-64.tar.
To note, I am able to create an ASCII encoded schema with no problem.

Unicode Error:

postgres=3D# create database "apt_utf8" with encoding =3D 'UNICODE';
ERROR:  encoding UTF8 does not match server's locale C
DETAIL:  The server's LC_CTYPE setting requires encoding LATIN1.

ASCII schema created:

postgres=3D# create database "apt_sql_ascii" with encoding =3D 'SQL_ASCII';
CREATE DATABASE

Thanks for any information.

Jacob Carlson
jacob.carlson@navteq.com<mailto:jacob.carlson@navteq.com>

NA Technical Operations Group
Work Phone 312-780-3040

The information contained in this communication may be CONFIDENTIAL and is =
intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above.  If you are not =
the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, dis=
tribution, or copying of this communication, or any of its contents, is str=
ictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please=
 notify the sender and delete/destroy the original message and any copy of =
it from your computer or paper files.