Re: PATCH: CITEXT 2.0 v2 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David E. Wheeler
Subject Re: PATCH: CITEXT 2.0 v2
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Jul 7, 2008, at 12:06, David E. Wheeler wrote:

>> I understand it but there is parallel project which should solve
>> this problem completely I guess in "close" future (2-3years).
>> Afterward this module will be obsolete and it will takes times to
>> remove it from contrib. It seems to me that have citext in contrib
>> only for two releases is not optimal solution.
>
> I guess that'd be the reason to keep it on pgFoundry, but I have two
> comments:
>
> * 2-3 years is a *long* time in Internet time.
>
> * There is on guarantee that it will be finished in that time or,
> indeed ever (no disrespect to Radek Strnad, it's just there are
> always unforeseen issues).

One other thing that occurred to me yesterday: Given that the feature
will ultimately support column-level collations, I suspect that it
will be much easier to migrate CITEXT to a case-insensitive collation
(perhaps using an updated CITEXT contrib module that just does so
transparently) than to migrate application code from using LOWER() all
over the place to not using. One transition requires a change to the
schema, the other requires a change to application code, of which
there is generally a lot more.

Best,

David