Re: proposal: a validator for configuration files - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Florian Pflug
Subject Re: proposal: a validator for configuration files
Date
Re: proposal: a validator for configuration files
List pgsql-hackers
On Jul18, 2011, at 01:29 , Robert Haas wrote:
> Hmm.  Maybe what we need is a mechanism that allows the configuration
> to be associated a loadable module, and whenever that module is
> loaded, we also load the associated configuration settings.  This is
> probably terribly syntax, but something like:
>
> ALTER LOAD 'plpgsql' SET plpgsql.variable_conflict = 'whatever';

A variant of this would be to allow extensions (in the CREATE EXTENSION
sense) to declare custom GUCs in their control file. Then we'd only
need to load those files, which seems better than loading a shared
library.

We do expect people to wrap their loadable modules in extensions
anyway nowadays, do we?

best regards,
Florian Pflug