Re: Visual query builder for PosgreSQL? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gauthier, Dave
Subject Re: Visual query builder for PosgreSQL?
Date
List pgsql-general
Many, many (many) years ago, while working at DIGITAL EQUIPMENT (before it =
bellied up), I worked with a relational DB they created called "RDB".  Some=
one at DEC wrote an sql development gui in Xwindows called "InstantSQL".  I=
t was really great.  All the tables of the DB were icons, you could drag th=
e ones you wanted into the main workspace, open them up, graphically select=
 the cols you wanted to "select" and join  tables by click-dragging a line =
from one col of one table to another.  You could build your predicate by dr=
agging out search criteria boxes frmo the colmns, filling them in with the =
criteria, changing the logical operators, etc... .  It supported aggregate =
functions, order by, and manual editing of the resulting SQL if you wanted =
to.  The users LOVED that thing.  They would build their queries, run them =
and redirect output to a file.  Then "save" the query for future use.  They=
 would also use it to prototype sql which they would then cut/paste into sc=
ripts.  Very intuitive to use and very user friendly. =20

Other guis allow you to do some simple things in a gui, like join tables, b=
ut I've yet to see something that let the user do it all in the gui.  The s=
ingle gui approach had some advantages, the most important of which (IMO) w=
as ease of use and being so intuitive.=20

When Oracle "acquired" RDB, InstantSQL died with the DB (after the canabali=
zed it).  Haven't seen InstantSQL since.  They're probably just sitting on =
the patent.  I just wish good-ole InstantSQL was still out there.  Your use=
rs, like mine of the past, would probably love it.