Re: When is a record NULL? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From David E. Wheeler
Subject Re: When is a record NULL?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Jul 24, 2009, at 11:37 AM, Jeff Davis wrote:

>> Hmmm ... that suggests that we may not be handling IS DISTINCT FROM
>> correctly for rowtypes.  I haven't read that part of the spec, but
>> I would've guessed that the spec wants it to be consistent with
>> IS NULL.
>
> Our behavior appears to match the standard, which covers this case in
> 8.15.General Rules.1.c.iv.

Good, because what I'm doing is comparing rows returned by two
different cursors using IS DISTINCT FROM, and what I need the
comparison to do is to ensure that two rows are not equivalent
(distinct) unless all of their values are the same, column to column,
including NULLs.

Best,

David