Re: Explain plan for 2 column index : timestamps and time zones - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From
Subject Re: Explain plan for 2 column index : timestamps and time zones
Date
List pgsql-performance
> From: Tom Lane [mailto:tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us]

> My guess is that the original SQL was
>     WHERE ... date_from = current_timestamp
> This should be
>     WHERE ... date_from = localtimestamp
> if timestamp without tz is the intended column datatype.

Thank you. The problem was exactly this:

    current_timestamp: TIMESTAMP with TZ

    my attribute "date_from TIMESTAMP "  - without TZ

After change to

    WHERE ... date_from = localtimestamp

the plan worked just well.

> (it really sucks that SQL specifies "timestamp" to default to "without time
zone" ...)

Tzones is one area I never delt with and IMMEDIATELY ran into problem,
implicit type conversion is an evil.