Re: tablespaces a priority for 7.5? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From
Subject Re: tablespaces a priority for 7.5?
Date
List pgsql-general
> Incremental pg_dumps would be a huge step in the right direction!

For big people (meaning bid databases) - not shure if pg_dump is the right
direction. Pg_dump must be quite slow also compact. Raw file copy is the way
to go: quick and simple, virtually no configuration is required, no possible
pg_dump bugs - the latest quite important(of course, no DB version and OS
changes are possible, but not really needed - this is recovery, not
migration).

> However, unless I am mistaken, a baseline backup would need
> to be taken cold because you cannot take a consistent online
> backup of the data files without using file system snapshots
> or split mirrors, and even that's questionable.

That's doable: depends what you have in WAL logs.
In short: a baseline full hot database backup is taken while database is
running, then when recovering WAL logs are put on top of this baseline
backup. WAL logs must actually account for a lot: table, index changes, etc.
From my understanding, this is done not at SQL level, but at pages level. as
far as I remember the method - a full hot database backup must be taken at
page level as well, i.e. simple OS file copy-utility may not suite for the
purpose.

Regards, Laimis