RE: Timeout parameters - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tsunakawa, Takayuki
Subject RE: Timeout parameters
Date
List pgsql-hackers
From: Fabien COELHO [mailto:coelho@cri.ensmp.fr]
> >> If the user reconnects, eg "\c db", the setting is lost. The
> >> re-connection handling should probably take care of this parameter, and
> maybe others.
> > I think your opinion is reasonable, but it seems not in this thread.
>
> HI think that your patch is responsible for the added option at least.
>
> I agree that the underlying issue that other parameters should probably
> also be reused, which would be a bug fix, does not belong to this thread.

This doesn't seem to be a bug.  \connect just establishes a new connection, not reusing the previous settings for most
connectionparameters.  As the examples in the following manual page show, the user needs to specify necessary
connectionparameters.

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/app-psql.html

=> \c service=foo
=> \c "host=localhost port=5432 dbname=mydb connect_timeout=10 sslmode=disable"

But I'm afraid the description of \connect may not be clear enough about connection parameters, and that may cause
usersto expect the reuse of all connection parameter settings.  Anyway, I think this would be an improvement for psql's
documentationor new feature for psql.  What do you think?

Regards
Takayuki Tsunakawa