RE: [Proposal] Add accumulated statistics - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tsunakawa, Takayuki
Subject RE: [Proposal] Add accumulated statistics
Date
Re: [Proposal] Add accumulated statistics  (Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
From: Pavel Stehule [mailto:pavel.stehule@gmail.com]
> the cumulated lock statistics maybe doesn't help with debugging - but it
> is very good indicator of database (in production usage) health.

I think it will help both.  But I don't think the sampling won't be as helpful as the precise lock statistics
accumulation,because the sampling doesn't give us exactly how effective our improvements to PostgreSQL code are.  I
rememberPG developers used LOCK_STATS to see how many (or ratio of) lwlock waits decreased by applying patches.

We can use the cumulated lock stats like:

1. SELECT * FROM pg_session_waits;
2. Run a benchmark.
3. SELECT * FROM pg_session_waits;
4. Calculate the difference between 1 and 3.

Or, reset the wait stats before the benchmark run and just use the stats as-is.

I'd like to know why you thought the cumulated wait stats isn't helpful for debugging.

Regards
Takayuki Tsunakawa