Re: [HACKERS] How can we expand PostgreSQL ecosystem? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Tsunakawa, Takayuki
Subject Re: [HACKERS] How can we expand PostgreSQL ecosystem?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Hello, all,

I've created the ecosystem survey.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1HbBLWrAE7OTNRKSmi2sydpIeem4Je3ZgINhvs9mcHU8/viewform

The response is collected in the following sheets.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1gk414aSyqFZt81p7smGtmBGeBtggY4CF-7pKqMd5UIU/pubhtml

These are for reviewing and practicing the survey form, so feel free to add any category/software options and see how
theresults look like in the sheet.  The options in the above form are dummy.  I'll prepare another form/sheet copy for
thereal survey, populate the category list with some initial options based on the Wikipedia, and then submit the survey
tousers after a week or so.

Could you review the form sentences?  I'm not good at natural English expression, and I have no experience in making
thesurvey.  I'd appreciate better sentences to encourage many users to respond.

> It is not always easy to see where a database is involved. Maybe we should
> not focus on software categories but on usage categories or industrial
> categories.
>
> A short explanation based at an example: image a logistic firm. There is
> a database for the employees, for the routs to drive, the cars to use, the
> goods to ship and even more. I see regularly a database to store GPS
> information about the location of each car, a database about statistics
> reaching form income to traffic jams.
>
> But in most cases the users/implementors also don't know which category
> of software the use. They simply searching for their problems and try their
> solutions. So we should maybe add some more text to the categories to make
> them easier findable.

I'll consider software/usage/industrial categories when populating the initial options.  Any info source (Wikipedia
page)would be helpful for reference of usage/industrial categories.

> Focusing on the second one and our general propose i would take the broad
> road. Stack Overflow, DBA Exchange, Usenet. Everything you could reach,
> because it could be hard to get results.
>
> And at least we need to do something with the results.

Again, the advice on where to submit the survey would be much, much appreciated.

Regards
Takayuki Tsunakawa