Re: "Too far out of the mainstream" - Mailing list pgsql-general

From David Johnston
Subject Re: "Too far out of the mainstream"
Date
List pgsql-general

PostgreSQL
> in our shop.  The group in question supports multiple different databases,
> including Oracle, MySQL, SQLServer, DB2, and even some non-relational
> databases (think Cobol and file-based storage), each type with a variety
of
> applications and support needs.  We are in the running for getting a large
> contract from them and need to address their question:  "What makes
> PostgreSQL no more risky than any other database?"
>
> Thanks in advance for your input.
>
> Andy Yoder

Postgres, like the other database products out there, attempts to adhere to
an independent standard (SQL) as well as provide additional functionality
deemed useful but that falls outside the standard.  Its long existence and
usage in many different businesses and situations, as well as it regular
major-release schedule, shows that it is indeed "mainstream".  Even in a
worse-case scenario, were all new development to stop, prior stable releases
are available and proven in the market and already released under and
open-source license that cannot be revoked - unlike other licenses in the
market.

Aside from all that I would politely ask the client's IT group for specific
and detailed concerns that can be addressed with facts and not via simple
assertions that it works for other people.

If the client's IT group is going to be supporting the database then
"mainstream" has a different meaning than if all database management is
going to done by you and they are worried that PostgreSQL is insecure (which
is not just a function of the database but your entire infrastructure) or is
going to be too slow for the amount of data they are going to be accessing.
Specifics...

David J.