Another question on indexes (drop and recreate) - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Yves Vindevogel
Subject Another question on indexes (drop and recreate)
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hi,

I have another question regarding indexes.

I have a table with a lot of indexes on it.  Those are needed to
perform my searches.

Once a day, a bunch of records is inserted in my table.

Say, my table has 1.000.000 records and I add 10.000 records (1% new)

What would be faster.

1) Dropping my indexes and recreating them after the inserts

2) Just inserting it and have PG manage the indexes

Met vriendelijke groeten,

Bien à vous,

Kind regards,

<bold>Yves Vindevogel</bold>

<bold>Implements</bold>

<smaller>

</smaller>Hi,

I have another question regarding indexes.

I have a table with a lot of indexes on it.  Those are needed to
perform my searches.
Once a day, a bunch of records is inserted in my table.

Say, my table has 1.000.000 records and I add 10.000 records (1% new)
What would be faster.

1) Dropping my indexes and recreating them after the inserts
2) Just inserting it and have PG manage the indexes

Met vriendelijke groeten,
Bien à vous,
Kind regards,

Yves Vindevogel
Implements

<smaller>

Mail: yves.vindevogel@implements.be  - Mobile: +32 (478) 80 82 91

Kempische Steenweg 206 - 3500 Hasselt - Tel-Fax: +32 (11) 43 55 76

Web: http://www.implements.be

<italic><x-tad-smaller>

First they ignore you.  Then they laugh at you.  Then they fight you.
Then you win.

Mahatma Ghandi.</x-tad-smaller></italic></smaller>

Mail: yves.vindevogel@implements.be  - Mobile: +32 (478) 80 82 91

Kempische Steenweg 206 - 3500 Hasselt - Tel-Fax: +32 (11) 43 55 76

Web: http://www.implements.be

First they ignore you.  Then they laugh at you.  Then they fight you.
Then you win.
Mahatma Ghandi.

Attachment