Re: Operators and schemas - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Rod Taylor
Subject Re: Operators and schemas
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> 2. Use a restricted, perhaps fixed search-path for searching for
> operators.  For example, we might force the search path to have
> pg_catalog first even when this is not true for the table name
search
> path.  But I'm not sure what an appropriate definition would be.
> A restricted search path might limit the usefulness of private
operators
> to the point where we might as well have kept them database-wide.

Wanting to open a bucket of worms, what would making the system create
an operator with the schema name in it?

Ie.  Create operator schema.+ would create:

'schema.+'  in pg_catalog
'+' in schema

This would require double the operator entries, but isn't really any
worse than the array types as related to their base type.

So, user could type:
select col1 + col2 from schema.tab;
select col1 schema.+ col2 from tab;