Re: New PostgreSQL T-Shirt - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Damien Clochard
Subject Re: New PostgreSQL T-Shirt
Date
Re: New PostgreSQL T-Shirt  (Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-advocacy
Le 06.07.2016 17:09, Simon Riggs a écrit :
> On 5 July 2016 at 18:41, Fábio Telles Rodriguez
> <fabio.telles@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> We make a new PostgreSQL T-Shirt for the 20 years aniversary. It's
>> based in a picture i saw on internet from Gabriele Bartolini.
>>
>> If any one want to use the art, be my guest:
>> http://savepoint.blog.br/download/elefante_postgreSQL.pdf
>
> Wow, what a rip off!  It isn't just based on Gabriele's work, its a
> copy as close as possible. A deliberate, detailed fraud, since I
> already know that Gabriele wanted to keep that design private. You're
> either violating Gabriele's or AC/DC's copyright, maybe both.
>
> Is that what our community has come to? You just rip off somebody
> else, claim you added some value and then make money for yourself
> while claiming its been done in the name of our community?

That's just my two cents but I'm really stunned by the agressivity of
your message Simon.

This is the internet. You find material and most of the time there's no
indication of any copyright or license. And inside the PostgreSQL
community, it's a fair bet to assume that promotional material is
available under a permissive licence.

I believe that Fabio was just trying to promote PostgreSQL. I think
going so hard on him for his mistake is a very bad message to the
community. We're all here to promote Postgres. Marketing is not our
primary job and we need more indulgence when people make mistakes.

Fun fact : in 2013, I designed a poster called "Keep Calm and use
Postgres" [1]. Early that year 2ndQuadrant released a keyring using
exactly the same design [2]. AFAIK nobody from 2ndQuadrant has ever
reached me about that and I met some employees of the company in person
during the last weeks... I'm perfectly fine with 2ndQuadrant using my
design to promote its brand. But my irony sense is tingling when I see
you talking about copyright violations....

Definitely let's Keep Calm and Use PostgreSQL ;-)

[1]
https://github.com/postgresqlfr/pgfr_materials/blob/master/advocacy/posters/keepcalm/Keep-calm-and-use-postgres.png
[2] https://twitter.com/2ndquad/status/722697976896991232

Damien Clochard