Re: New PostgreSQL T-Shirt - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: New PostgreSQL T-Shirt
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 07/06/2016 09:39 AM, Damien Clochard wrote:
> Le 06.07.2016 17:09, Simon Riggs a écrit :
>> On 5 July 2016 at 18:41, Fábio Telles Rodriguez
>> <fabio.telles@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> We make a new PostgreSQL T-Shirt for the 20 years aniversary. It's
>>> based in a picture i saw on internet from Gabriele Bartolini.
>>>
>>> If any one want to use the art, be my guest:
>>> http://savepoint.blog.br/download/elefante_postgreSQL.pdf
>>
>> Wow, what a rip off!  It isn't just based on Gabriele's work, its a
>> copy as close as possible. A deliberate, detailed fraud, since I
>> already know that Gabriele wanted to keep that design private. You're
>> either violating Gabriele's or AC/DC's copyright, maybe both.
>>
>> Is that what our community has come to? You just rip off somebody
>> else, claim you added some value and then make money for yourself
>> while claiming its been done in the name of our community?
>>

> That's just my two cents but I'm really stunned by the agressivity of
> your message Simon.

No kidding, and people call me aggressive. Simon you owe Fabio an
apology. Heck in the original message Fabio even provides contribution
to Gabriele.

I see that Gabriele responded. As he is the *only* person that has right
to grievance here, Simon perhaps you should take his lead and see the
very reasonable response he had.

> This is the internet. You find material and most of the time there's no
> indication of any copyright or license. And inside the PostgreSQL
> community, it's a fair bet to assume that promotional material is
> available under a permissive licence.

True but also wrong. You should never assume a permissive license. That
is a recipe for trouble.

> I believe that Fabio was just trying to promote PostgreSQL. I think
> going so hard on him for his mistake is a very bad message to the
> community. We're all here to promote Postgres. Marketing is not our
> primary job and we need more indulgence when people make mistakes.

Agreed and we also need to remember that -advocacy is just as important
as the code. If we have bad -advocacy people aren't going to use our code.

Sincerely,

JD

> [1]
> https://github.com/postgresqlfr/pgfr_materials/blob/master/advocacy/posters/keepcalm/Keep-calm-and-use-postgres.png