Re: Would it be possible to have parallel archiving? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrey Borodin
Subject Re: Would it be possible to have parallel archiving?
Date
List pgsql-hackers

28 авг. 2018 г., в 14:08, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> написал(а):

Greetings,

* David Steele (david@pgmasters.net) wrote:
On 8/28/18 8:32 AM, Stephen Frost wrote:
To be clear, pgBackRest uses the .ready files in archive_status to
parallelize archiving but still notifies PostgreSQL of completion via
the archive_command mechanism.  We do not modify .ready files to .done
directly.

Right, we don't recommend mucking around with that directory of files.
Even if that works today (which you'd need to test extensively...),
there's no guarantee that it'll work and do what you want in the
future...
WAL-G modifies archive_status files.
This path was chosen to limit state preserved between WAL-G runs (archiving to S3) and further push archiving performance.
Indeed, it was very hard to test. Also, this makes impossible to use two archiving system simultaneously for transit period.

Best regards, Andrey Borodin.