Re: Allow tests to pass in OpenSSL FIPS mode - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Daniel Gustafsson
Subject Re: Allow tests to pass in OpenSSL FIPS mode
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On 5 Oct 2023, at 15:44, Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>
> On 04.10.22 17:45, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
>> While working on the column encryption patch, I wanted to check that what is implemented also works in OpenSSL FIPS
mode. I tried running the normal test suites after switching the OpenSSL installation to FIPS mode, but that failed all
overthe place.  So I embarked on fixing that.   Attached is a first iteration of a patch.

> Continuing this, we have fixed many issues since.  Here is a patch set to fix all remaining issues.
>
> v4-0001-citext-Allow-tests-to-pass-in-OpenSSL-FIPS-mode.patch
> v4-0002-pgcrypto-Allow-tests-to-pass-in-OpenSSL-FIPS-mode.patch

+ERROR:  crypt(3) returned NULL

Not within scope here, but I wish we had a better error message here. That's for another patch though clearly.

> v4-0003-Allow-tests-to-pass-in-OpenSSL-FIPS-mode-TAP-test.patch
>
> This one does some delicate surgery and could use some thorough review.

I don't have a FIPS enabled build handy to test in, but reading the patch I
don't see anything that sticks out apart from very minor comments:

+my $md5_works = ($node->psql('postgres', "select md5('')") == 0);

I think this warrants an explanatory comment for readers not familiar with
FIPS, without that it may seem quite an odd test.

+), 0, 'created user with scram password');

Tiny nitpick, I think we use SCRAM when writing it in text.

> v4-0004-Allow-tests-to-pass-in-OpenSSL-FIPS-mode-rest.patch
>
> This just adds alternative expected files.  The question is mainly just whether there are better ways to organize
this.

Without inventing a new structure for alternative outputs I don't see how.

--
Daniel Gustafsson