Re: Permission Denied to Regular Read/Write User to Create New Partitioned Table - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Laurenz Albe
Subject Re: Permission Denied to Regular Read/Write User to Create New Partitioned Table
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Thu, 2020-11-05 at 14:25 +0000, Hilbert, Karin wrote:
> We normally create our databases & objects with a DB Owner account & the application
>  connects with a regular user account that has read/write permissions.
> For GITLAB, the application updates the database as required during the application upgrade.
> We allow the application to connect as the DB Owner account only during those times &
>  switch back to the regular account when the upgrade is done.
>
> However, with the latest application upgrade, GITLAB is now using partitioned tables.
> When the table reaches a certain size, the application tries to create a new partitioned
>  table, which errors out for the regular user account:
>
>      2020-11-03 18:21:31 EST [56435]: [88-1] db=xxxxxx,user=xxxxxx ERROR:  permission denied for schema
gitlab_partitions_dynamicat character 28

>      2020-11-03 18:21:31 EST [56435]: [89-1] db=xxxxxx,user=xxxxxx STATEMENT:  CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS
"gitlab_partitions_dynamic"."audit_events_part_5fc467ac26_202105"

> I tried to solve the error by granting the regular user acct "usage, create" on the schema:

Yes, granting CREATE on the schema is the proper remedy for that error.

> psql -d xxxxxx -U xxxxxxxxxx -c "grant usage, create on schema gitlab_partitions_dynamic to xxxxxx;"
>
> Now we're getting a "must be owner" error:
>
>      2020-11-04 12:21:17 EST [28013]: [420-1] db=xxxxxx,user=xxxxxx ERROR:  must be owner of table
audit_events_part_5fc467ac26
>      2020-11-04 12:21:17 EST [28013]: [421-1] db=xxxxxx,user=xxxxxx STATEMENT:  CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS
"gitlab_partitions_dynamic"."audit_events_part_5fc467ac26_202105"

Seems that the user is trying to create a partition for a table that it doesn't own.
You must be the owner of a table to create a new partition for it.

If that happens during regular operation, your only choice will be to make the
application user the owner of the partitioned table (or a member of the owner).

I guess you cannot modify the application code, right?

Yours,
Laurenz Albe