Re: Enhancement to psql command, feedback. - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron
Subject Re: Enhancement to psql command, feedback.
Date
Re: Enhancement to psql command, feedback.  (Steven Lembark <lembark@wrkhors.com>)
List pgsql-general
On 05/09/2018 02:59 AM, John McKown wrote:
I just wanted to throw this out to the users before I made a complete fool of myself by formally requesting it. But I would like what I hope would be a minor change (enhancement) to the psql command. If you look on this page, https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Shared_Database_Hosting ,
you will see a number of example which look like:

psql -U postgres template1 -f - << EOT

REVOKE ALL ON DATABASE template1 FROM public;
REVOKE ALL ON SCHEMA public FROM public;
GRANT ALL ON SCHEMA public TO postgres;
CREATE LANGUAGE plpgsql;

EOT

To me this looks similar to a UNIX shell script.

Because it is a Unix shell script.  The "<< EOT" is part of a heredoc, which is designed to keep everything in one place instead of needing a second file for the SQL commands.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Here_document

(The concept is as old as computing.  Anyone who's worked on mainframes or proprietary minicomputers from DEC will instantly recognize it.)