RE: While Using COPY COMMAND ... - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Jeff Eckermann
Subject RE: While Using COPY COMMAND ...
Date
List pgsql-sql
To clarify a little further...
psql (client application) runs with the permissions of the system user who
has called it, so psql has no difficulty in writing to that user's home
directory (or anywhere else that the user has write permission).
COPY is run by the backend, and therefore the backend user ("postgres")
needs permission to write to the target file.
Your choices are:
1. Adjust the permissions on your home directory
2. Use \copy instead: being a psql command, that runs with the same
permissions that psql has.