Help with SQL Function - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Eckermann
Subject Help with SQL Function
Date
List pgsql-general
I'm falling at the first hurdle.  Can someone tell me how to pass an
attribute value into a function, as I'm trying to do below?  I've studied
the docs every which way, but can't seem to find the cause of my problem.
Thanks in advance for ignorance relief.

extracts=# create function testfunc(text) returns int4 as '
extracts'# select count (*) from dedcolo where equip_type = ''$1''    ---
That's doubled single quotes
extracts'# ' language 'sql';
CREATE
extracts=# select testfunc('Dialup');
 testfunc
----------
        0
(1 row)
extracts=# create function testfunc() returns int4 as '
extracts'# select count (*) from dedcolo where equip_type = ''Dialup''   ---
Doubled single quotes, again
extracts'# ' language 'sql';
CREATE
extracts=# select testfunc();