Ideas on how to use external perl script - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gauthier, Dave
Subject Ideas on how to use external perl script
Date
List pgsql-general

Hi:

I need to write a stored function that will perform a complex task which has already been handled in OO subfunctions of an external perl module.  The perl module has many subroutines and OO constructs and may use whatever else is legal to use in perl.  (I do have the source code for the perl module BTW)  I need to interact with this per module from the context of a stored function in my DB.  I have v8.3.4 with pl-perl but discovered that I cannot simple “use” the external perl module or simply stick the named perl subs inside the module inside the pl-perl.  Still, I need to work with it.  More specifically...

 - A pl-pgsql function will load up a temporary table with a bunch of records

 - I need to run each of these records through a sub in the perl module that loads an internal data structure in an OO object

 - I then call another sub that processes the data structure and returns the result.

 - I purge the temporary table and then stuff it with the returned results.

So I picture a regular ole pl-pgsql that (someonw) interacts with the many perl module subs.  One of those interarcions is to create a perl object (OO perl).

Any suggestions on how to proceed?

Thanks

-dave