Restrict allowed database names? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adam Seering
Subject Restrict allowed database names?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,
    I'm trying to set up an internal general-purpose PostgreSQL server installation.  I want most users with login
accessto the server to be able to create databases, but only with names that follow a specified naming convention (in
particular,approximately "is prefixed with the owner's username").  A subset of administrative users can create users
withany name.  The goal is to let users create arbitrary databases, but to force them to get approval for names that
someoneelse (or some other service) might conceivably want.

    Is there any way to enforce this within PostgreSQL?  Maybe something like a trigger on CREATE DATABASE, if that's
possible?

Thanks,
Adam