Re: loading jdbc Driver in servlet - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas Kellerer
Subject Re: loading jdbc Driver in servlet
Date
List pgsql-general
Rob Sargent schrieb am 14.12.2018 um 19:28:
> Using java 1.8, postgresql-42.1.4.jar, embedded tomcat 9
>
> It appears to me that I need to make the call
> "Class.forName("org.postgresql.Driver)" when the entry is in a
> servlet.  Is this expected, within a servlet, or is this just /post
> hoc ergo propter hoc /at it finest and I changed something else
> (wittingly or not).  Same code outside of servlet does not need the
> forced loading of the class and the manual claims it's not need after
> java 1.6

Class.forName() is definitely not needed if the driver's JAR file is
included in the classloader of the class requesting a connection.

Where exactly did you put the JDBC driver's jar file?
And what exactly is your main() method doing?

If you look at Tomcat's startup script (catalina.sh or catalina.bat), it's
obvious that setting up the claspath isn't that straightforward.
My guess is, that that your main() method does something different
and does not properly include the driver's jar in the classpath.

Thomas