Re: scaling beyond 4 processors - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jeff
Subject Re: scaling beyond 4 processors
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Dec 6, 2004, at 5:18 PM, vogler@cipsoft.com wrote:

> Hello everyone!
>
> Since our current Postgres server, a quad Xeon system, finally can't
> keep up with our
> load anymore we're ready to take the next step.

I'm assuming you've already done as much query tweaking as possible.

and are you sure you are CPU bound and not IO bound?
(Symptoms of IO bound are low cpu usage, high load average, poor
performance. Many processes in "D" state)

> So the question is: Has anyone experiences with running Postgres on
> systems with
> more than 4 processors in a production environment? Which systems and

Have you also considered a replicated approach?

--
Jeff Trout <jeff@jefftrout.com>
http://www.jefftrout.com/