Re: What do Oracle, DB2, etc. actually *do*? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Lance Obermeyer
Subject Re: What do Oracle, DB2, etc. actually *do*?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
I'm quite familiar with what Peer Direct sells.

Their software is strictly async.  It depends upon having each record maintain the timestamp of its last change.  Then,
atsome arbitrary point (every 5 minutes...) a process wakes up, sees what records have changed at the local node, uses
thisto create an update set, and then propagates the changes to other nodes.  Where their stuff is impressive is
subscribingto subsets of the data and handling conflicts.  They can allow a node to subscribe to just certain sets of
records,usually determined by some high level key (like a country code) and then follow all FK constraints to pull lots
ofrecords from lots of related tables.  This is neat.  Also, they can detect basic conflicts and apply simple
resolutionrules.  More interestingly, they can avoid a lot of conflicts by creating "fragments", which are a set of
columnsfrom a table that are treated as a whole (name fragment = {first name, middle initial, last name}, address
fragment= {street, city, state, zip, country}).  If you configure it right, a change at node 1 to the address fragment
willnot conflict with a change to the name fragment at node 2.

It is not optimal if all you are interested in is failover. It is a good solution if your fundamental problem is
distributingreads and a few writes across a WAN.