Re: Regarding Postgres installation and administration on linux suse 9.0 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Timothy Perrigo
Subject Re: Regarding Postgres installation and administration on linux suse 9.0
Date
List pgsql-general
On Dec 10, 2004, at 4:26 AM, Vikas Kumawat wrote:

Sir /Madam,</x-tad-bigger></fontfamily>

working on Linux suse 9.0 and we have installed Postgres 7.3 through
yast with the privileges of
"</x-tad-bigger><bold><x-tad-bigger>root</x-tad-bigger></bold><x-tad-bigger>"
user. But we are not able to start / configure the postgres database,
Kindly help us in configuring and starting the same database and how
can we create database and use it. We will be very thankful to you
prompt help.</x-tad-bigger></fontfamily>

</excerpt>

The postgres users should own the data directory, but otherwise should
not have administrative privileges.  What is the specific error you
are getting?